Call us on: 0330 088 8408


Our specialist education and health services are available to all universities, and organisations offering university qualifications.

What services do we provide to universities?

We provide universities with a broad range of services to support all areas of special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).

Services we provide for individuals at university include the following non-medical help (NMH) services:

  • Learning mentor
  • Practical support assistant
  • Library support assistant
  • Readers
  • Scribes
  • Workshop/laboratory assistant
  • Sighted guide
  • Proofreader
  • BSL interpreter
  • Assistive technology trainer

We also provide the following specialist education and health services on an individual, group and consultancy basis:

Universities can also access services from our social, emotional and mental health for schools (SEMHS) service.

Over the last five years the proportion of disabled students who declared a mental health condition increased from 5.9% in 2007-08 to 9.6% in 2011-12 and from 0.4% to 0.8% of the entire student population

Student mental wellbeing in higher education: Good practice guide, Universities UK, 2015

How do we work with universities?

We work in partnership with universities to address the needs of students and staff. Support provided is bespoke according to needs and requirements. We work with universities to provide ongoing and standalone services. Regular CPD events are run throughout the year which may be of interest to university students and staff, and can be requested onsite. The support and services we provide aim to extend the support currently provided by the university due to an increase in demand for services.

The review has shown that some of the biggest challenges facing institutions are:

  • Increasing demand for services
  • Proposed changes to the way in which funding is delivered to support disabled students
  • Moving to a social model of support
  • Working with external agencies
  • Increased pressure on resources

Higher education funding council for England (HEFCE), 2017

Institutions reported a rise in the number of individuals disclosing mental health
problems upon application, in the numbers disclosing later into their studies and in the
numbers of students experiencing crisis situations. They also reported a rise in the
number diagnosed with more severe mental health conditions such as personality
disorders and bipolar disorder.

They had also seen a rise in the numbers of students with social and communication
impairments such as Asperger syndrome or other autism spectrum disorders. There
was a perception that whilst demand for support for students with physical disabilities
had tended to remain stable, it was likely to grow over time with the improved
accessibility and support offered in the HE sector.

Lastly, institutions were seeing an increase in students with more complex support
needs, and with both mental and physical disabilities. These individuals often required
support from more than one specialist or resource, and additional involvement with
their teaching departments. Their needs may be subject to fluctuations and 'flare-ups'
requiring an immediate response, and they may need to use the institutions' mental
health provision/services more frequently.

Understanding provision for students with mental health problems and intensive support needs, HEFCE, 2015

How can universities commission our services?

Universities can commission our services directly or on behalf of students. Our services are available for self-funding students if a university has an account with us. Commissioning can be done for ongoing and standalone services. Specific services can also be commissioned through an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. To find out more, or arrange a discussion, please email or call 0330 088 8408.

Support should generally cease at the end of the academic year, to allow young people to complete their programme of study. In the case of a young person who reaches their 25th birthday before their course has ended, the EHC plan can be maintained until the end of the academic year in which they turn 25 (or the day the apprenticeship or course ends, or the day before their 26th birthday if later). It is important that a child or young person's exit from an EHC plan is planned carefully, to support smooth transitions and effective preparation for adulthood.

SEND code of practice, 2015

How can universities refer to our specialist education and health services?

Universities can refer to our specialist education and health services through various channels. We accept referrals online , via emailing or calling 0330 088 8408. We accept referrals for all areas and levels of education and health needs.

What are the benefits of using EHP?

Using EHP's specialist education and health services within universities brings many benefits, as we provide:

  • Onsite, integrated services
  • Flexible, reliable and solution focused services
  • Immediate support for educational, mental and physical needs

Which young people do we work with?

We work with young people who require additional support with their educational, physical and or mental needs. We work with young people who have EHC plans, disabled students' allowance (DSA) or require non-medical help. We also work with international students.

Where do our services take place?

Our services can take place within the university, or at one of our clinic sites across the Greater Manchester and Merseyside area, whichever is most appropriate or convenient. Home visits are also available in some cases.

When would a university require input from EHP?

A university could require input from EHP for a variety of reasons. Our multidisciplinary education and health services may be required due to:

  • An increase in needs among students
  • Specialist input being required
  • EHC plans
  • DSA requirements
  • Training needs

EHP help universities in meeting the educational, mental and physical needs of their students.

Our services for universities are bespoke according to requirements and needs. We support each university setting in creating a positive, inclusive environment to maximise wellbeing, potential and progress. To arrange a free visit to your setting or to find out more please email or call 0330 088 8408.

Get in touch

If you would like to find out more about the services we offer or to book a free initial discussion then please contact us not on 0330 088 8408 or email

Find out more

Is this page helpful?   Yes   No